Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes

We celebrated Thanksgiving at the home of some good friends this year.  For an appetizer I brought Roasted Cranberry Apple Brie Crostini with a Kahlúa Glaze and we also enjoyed Tex-Mex Deviled Eggs before the big feast.  Both were devoured by the guests in no time!  We also made a Apple Cider Brined turkey to roast and The Hubby made his "famous" Roasted Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes with Rosemary & Parmesan.

In addition, I wanted to bring a dessert - but not a pie, I knew there would be plenty!  While picking up my "Thankful" Shirt from The TomKat Studio Shop in Chandler, AZ, I found these adorable Brown Stripe Candy Cups that also work for baking - they would be perfect for Thanksgiving cupcakes.

To make the cupcakes, I started with a box mix of milk chocolate cake and followed the instructions for the cupcakes.  Next, I found this recipe on My Recipes for the salted caramel frosting. You'll either need to make it just before frosting the cupcakes or if you need to make it ahead of time, store it in the refrigerator and microwave for a few seconds to soften it.  Add the salt after frosting each one (rather than waiting until all are frosted).  The salt will "stick" better just after frosting.

I was pretty excited to pile these high using an open star decorating tip, but on Thanksgiving morning before heading to our friends' home, was unable to locate mine!  It was fine - the round one worked out fine too!

Unfortunately, I wasn't super happy with the quality of my photo - but no judging please!  These cupcakes were quite good - they are perfect for the holiday season!

Salted Caramel Frosting
Recipe from My Recipes

1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup butter
1/3 cup heavy cream
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Bring first 2 ingredients to a rolling boil in a 3 1/2-qt. saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly.

Stir in cream, and return to a boil; remove from heat. Pour into bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and vanilla at medium speed, using whisk attachment; beat 7 to 10 minutes or until thickened. Use immediately. Sprinkle frosted cake with sea salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment