Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Banana Bread Doughnuts

A few years ago, a friend of mine told me about a cookbook that was written by Jerry Seinfeld’s wife, Jessica Seinfeld.  It was about making dishes with healthy ingredients “snuck” into them.  It’s pretty popular – have you heard of it?  "Deceptively Delicious"  is the title – it’s wonderful!  I have made several of the recipes in the book and they have never failed me!

A couple of weeks ago I found the recipe for doughnuts that called for pumpkin and sweet potato.  I didn’t have any pumpkin, so decided to use a couple of my browned bananas that I store in the freezer.  To my boys, I said these were “banana bread doughnuts” and they loved them! 

I received a Wilton Doughnut Pan as a gift from the Bestie of mine a few months ago and this was the first batch of doughnuts I have made from scratch – they came out pretty good!  You can see my post on the Apple Cider Doughnuts I made here.
Have you made food with healthy ingredients that your kids will never taste?  I’d love to hear about the recipes!
Banana Bread Doughnuts
12 doughnuts
Adapted from Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld

Nonstick cooking spray
½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
½ cup sweet potato puree
½ cup 1% milk
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Coat a doughnut mold with cooking spray. 

In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, bananas, sweet potato puree, milk, egg white, margarine, and vanilla.  Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.  Mix until completely incorporated.

Using a spoon, fill the doughnut mold with the batter.  Bake until the tops are lightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted, 20 to 25 minutes.  Turn the doughnuts out onto a wire rack to cool.  When cool, dust with confectioners’ sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment