Sunday, December 15, 2013

Peanut Brittle - A Traditional Christmas Treat, Courtesy of My Great Grandmother

Every year during the holiday season, for as long as I can remember, my mom made peanut brittle.  What made it even better was that she used my dad’s grandmother’s recipe.  My great-grandmother lived to be 99 years old – she couldn’t tell you what she did the week prior, but could tell you stories about her life when she was a little girl.  It was pretty cool.  We called her Nana.

As you will see in the recipe, the peanut brittle sets on a greased cookie sheet.  One year for Christmas my dad surprised my mom with a big slab of marble he had purchased from a kitchen store – it was perfect for the peanut brittle making process. 


Peanut Brittle
Serves 8

1 cup white Karo
2 cups sugar
½ cup water
1 lb. raw peanuts
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 heaping teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

Combine Karo, sugar, and water in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil stirring slowly to 230 degrees with a candy thermometer or until the syrup spins a thread.  Add peanuts and continue to cook to 300 degrees and the color is a nice, light amber.  Remove from heat.  Add butter, vanilla soda, and salt; stir until blended.  This will foam so have a kettle (remember, this was my great-grandmother’s recipe) large enough so that it will not run over.  Pour onto 2 greased baking sheets with cooking oil.  When cool, break into bite sized pieces. 

If you like peanut brittle, I hope you will give this a try and stop back by to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment