Sunday, December 23, 2012

Chocolate Pizzelles

Pizzelle making is a tradition in my rather large Italian family..... and for some, it's not just during the holidays, but all year round!   I have never actually made them by myself.....until this year.  I've helped my dad in the past, watched my brother make them, seen photos of other family members pizzelles, this year I was ready for a solo attempt. 

I'm not big into holiday baking, I'm usually so exhausted by the time December rolls around and getting through all of the parties - it doesn't happen.  But this fall, I purchased a Cucina Pro Pizzelle Maker from my cousin Dino at Valente's Deli Bakery & Italian Market and my parents brought it down for me during a recent visit.  A pizzelle iron is key to making pizzelles - so it will be something you have to purchase if you don't have one!  Here is an image of the one I have below. 




You may remember that I visited Valente's Deli Bakery & Italian Market a few months ago - you can check out that blog post here.

Making these Italian cookies really isn't hard - the first couple of pizzelles sometimes stick.  I sprayed my iron with a little bit of olive oil spray before getting started.

The recipe below is a combination of what was in the book that came with the iron as well as input from my dad.  Everyone in my family has their own recipe....and like many dishes my family makes, most don't want to share their secrets!  The hubby isn't a big fan of anise, so I decided to start with a batch of chocolate pizzelles instead of traditional ones with anise (some use seed, some use oil - we'll save that for another blog post!)

These make great gifts for the holidays - I remember giving them to MY teachers each year before Christmas Break.  My parents were even clever enough to save coffee cans throughout the year and wrap them with Christmas paper.....pizzelles fit PERFECTLY into a coffee can....although, can you still buy coffee in a can?  Not sure about that one....

I hope you have fun with your pizzelle making this year, I look forward to adding it as an annual tradition in my home!




Chocolate Pizzelles
Makes about 2 dozen

3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons cocoa

Beat eggs and sugar until light yellow.  Add cooled, melted butter (make sure it is cooled so you don't end up with scrambled eggs) and vanilla.  Beat until blended.  Sift remaining ingredients and add to mixture.  Fold until just blended.

Heat pizzelle iron. I would suggest spraying with a little bit of olive oil spray first.  Add about 1 tablespoon of batter on grid just behind the center of the pattern.  Bake until golden brown, about 30-40 seconds.  Remove and cool on a rack.  Repeat with remaining batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment